As part of our sponsorship with the fabulous Dorset Seafood Read More
Happy 10th Birthday Pommery Dorset Seafood Festival!
Posted by Kate Rickard on July 4, 2017
With preparations well underway the excitement is building here in Weymouth for one of Dorset’s most popular Summer events, the Pommery Dorset Seafood Festival. The free to attend annual event celebrates its 10th anniversary this year offering champagne and seafood, family entertainment and a great opportunity to gain a better understanding of the superb seafood which is available to us just off our wonderful shores. The Pommery Dorset Seafood Festival is a charitable event celebrating Dorset’s inseparable links with the sea and its fishing communities and takes place around Weymouth’s historic Old Harbour. The roads around the Old Harbour are closed to traffic for the weekend of the event to allow the erection of a Seafood Village where many different species of fish and shellfish are prepared and cooked in the open for festival visitors. The festival theme explores the journey our seafood takes from ‘Sea to Plate’ and provides visitors with an enriching experience that is not only entertaining, but imparts a better understanding of the sea, the fishermen and the difficulties they face, the coast and the issues of sustainable fishing and environmental impact.
This year’s programme of events is more ambitious than ever and includes:-
Top national chefs alongside much loved local seafood heroes demonstrating their signature dishes on 2 main stages throughout both days, see the Seafish Stage programme here.
- The Broil King BBQ Masterclasses where visitors can try filleting, cooking and tasting their dishes under expert supervision of resident chefs.
- The Social Kitchen by Fisher & Paykell offers visitors a chance to sit down and taste seafood they have never tried before
- Fishy Tales is the live and interactive discussion panel starring seafood celebrities
- Inside Out signature artistic event called Kermiz, a contemporary circus spectacular performed by the Dutch group, Cirque Du Platzak
- Stronger Dorset connections with the Dorset Food & Drink in their members pavilion and the Badger Zone by Hall & Woodhouse showcasing their range of beers & ciders
- 90 stalls on both sides of the harbour ranging from lobster, paella, and sushi to champagne & oysters, take a look at the full street food menu
- A dedicated Kids Zone with hands on interactive workshops, face painting and crabbing competitions
- An opportunity to hop on board HMS Severn, a large Royal Navy off shore patrol vessel
The event welcomes thousands of enthusiastic visitors to Weymouth with plenty of new and exciting experiences for all members of the family. The fun and activities start at 10.30am on Saturday through to 6.00pm, and then on Sunday there is another full programme from 11.00am through to 5.30pm http://www.dorsetseafood.co.uk/
Here at Dream Cottages, we are delighted to be one of the sponsors of this fantastic event, along with Pommery Champagne, Fisher & Paykell, Seafish, Hall & Woodhouse, Weird Fish, and Volvo Cars, and we are certainly looking forward to a delicious weekend! Some tasty fishy highlights that we are keen to try include salt & chilli shrimps, mackerel baps, yellow noodles with squid, crab samosas, lobster, salmon & crème fraiche crepes, seafood paella, Moroccan spiced monkfish, fried mussels, beer battered gurnard, and some stunning oysters au natural. With a huge array of fresh and tasty seafood available there is certainly something for everyone, and what better way to enjoy an afternoon particularly when indulging in a glass or two of Pommery champagne! Other tempting treats on the menu include The Dorset Food & Drink Pavilion where you will find 12 outstanding Dorset producers selling everything from pies to preserves, chocolate to cheese. Hopefully we are making you hungry just thinking about it, and whether you are happy just to wander, sampling and enjoying great food and local produce, sipping Pommery and watching the boats go by or indulging in some retail therapy, you’re sure to have a great time!
With the emphasis on responsibly sourced seafood from the region where possible, the Pommery Dorset Seafood Festival helps raise money for the Fishermen’s Mission Charity who provide a lifeline of support to retired and active Fishermen and their families http://www.dorsetseafood.co.uk/fishermensmission/
As part of our sponsorship with the fabulous Pommery Dorset Seafood Festival, we’ve teamed up with Food and Travel Magazine to offer you the chance to win a week’s holiday in our lovely cottage, Footprint. Click here for more information.